Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why I Loved England - Part 1

I was in the USAF and stationed in Britain from 1967 through 1971. I treasure my time over there. In this and future posts I wouyld like to share some of those times and some of the wonderful people I met over there. But for today - just a short post to perhaps whet your appetite.


I just love British humour. Yes, humour is spelled correctly here if you are on the other side of the pond.


Most Americans need to stay away from British humour. It will only confuse them and leave them still thirsty for some actual humour sadly lacking in their own diet. It has many of the characteristics of American humor except it is very subtly funny.


As an example -


From the Guardian: "Woman gives birth on London Underground, considers naming the child accordingly. Thankfully the station was Kingsbury and not Elephant and Castle."


Dear fellow Americans: You should know that right now British readers are probably laughing their arses off. Don't yet know what an arse even is? Anyway, the British don't really ever actually laugh their arses off. They only snicker inwardly. Sometimes their lips twitch once or twice, but that's pretty much the limit. I confess to the American malady of bursting out in fits of laughter.


So...having read that short piece, some questions come to mind.


How could a woman give birth "on" London if she is underground?


Is the funny part that London is underground? It isn't, right? I mean London isn't, right?


Why would anyone name a kid "Accordingly"?



She gave birth in the London Underground? Perhaps she should get her "tubes" tied?


1 comment:

  1. NOW I begin to understand the "word farm" fellow! ::twitch:: ::twitch::

    ReplyDelete